2010/09/26

Stories From The Curious Mind-Chapter 4

(Official blog post for My Selangor Story Blogging Contest)


Hutan Lipur Kanching (Kanching Forest Reserve)
IMGP0582

After leaving from the always dazzling Genting Highland, we then headed on to another escapade in Selangor, the Kanching Forest Reserve located between Selayang and Rawang. From our itinerary, it seemed like it was going to be  a day for us to “flirt” with the nature. The little explorer inside me could not seem to sit still upon hearing jungle trekking and firefly watching. As excited as I was, I still slept on the nearly 2 hour journey there to recharge myself.

IMGP0584
IMGP0541IMGP0545

At the moment we stepped on the ground of Kanching, we were already greeted by the monkeys here. Monkeys here seems not to be afraid of human at all. En. Fazli even warned us of monkey snatching tourists’ belongings. Wow, to achieve this level of notoriety means these monkeys have made quite an achievement, haven’t they? Warning aside, I thought they were the most photogenic monkeys I had ever seen.

IMGP0557

IMGP0549

Rain clouds was slowly forming in the sky. Rain was never a friend for outing. Then, our Papa for the trip, En Fazli announced that we could only climb up to the second waterfall, Lata Terentang. I have the pictures of the three higher waterfalls before. Red wooden bridge rests in the middle of white of the falling water and the green of the leaves. It really looked like a painting.

Putting the mild disappointment aside, I then followed up the hill with my sneakers (not suitable for this). The climb was easy if compared to other hills I usually went. The first waterfall was Lata Bemban. I could almost touched the falling water on the wooden viewpoint.

  IMGP0561

IMGP0560IMGP0565

As the we moved further up, the trail became steeper and the water too splashed on the rock harder. The wider space of Lata Terentang makes it a picnic heaven. Amid the background seemingly taken from Chinese pugilistic novels, families, friends and couples have their fun immersing themselves in the cooling water.

IMGP0579
IMGP0581
IMGP0567
IMGP0572


From here too, I could see the starting point of Lata Bemban.

IMGP0580

Little naughty explorer inside me prompted me to go further up to see how splendid the view up there was but the call for us to go back spoiled my plan. The shot closest to the next level I had was this.

IMGP0571

I like waterfalls for its gorgeousness and for the splashing of water on rocks. With its strength strong enough to wash stones away, it can wash away all the unhappiness and tiredness you carry with you. If you wish to witness the even more awe-inspiring views up there before me, do come to Kanching Waterfall.

After having a quick lunch and watching a monkey fight, we then left for our foster parents in Homestay Sungai Haji Dorani in Sabak Bernam.

Homestay Sungai Haji Dorani, Sabak Bernam

As always, I slept on the way again. After looking at all the awesome photos Fadli had taken, I kind of regretted doing so. Sabak Bernam is situated at the northwest of Selangor for its paddy field and scarecrows. At first glance, the place looked a bit like Kepala Batas, Penang where my old hostel was.

IMGP0612

We were first greeted with kompang and kuda kepang performance presented by the locals. I particularly liked the kuda kepang performance, especially when the tarian barongan came in. The dance might seem repetitive but I could see how meaningful it is to the locals. It took me quite a while before I could catch up with the beat.

IMGP0597IMGP0601
IMGP0604IMGP0607IMGP0599

Kuda Kepang was not all that unfamiliar since it had been mentioned in our history textbooks for umpteenth times. Tarian Barongan was something I had never heard of before. Barongan who was once man became what he was now because of a spell casted upon him by the fairy whom he teased. The monstrous tiger, Barongan was danced somewhat like the lion dance. The clapping of his mouth was as loud as the roar of tigers.

IMGP0609IMGP0610

I was happy today not only because that I got to experience Kuda Kepang but because that this traditional dance had already found its heirs. Wearing branded sneakers, these kids danced well. I could see how much they loved this traditional art. I was even more sure of this when Pak Cik Tauhid, my foster parent told me that they learn this out of their own initiatives.

Pak Cik is a nice guy. He had hosted countless groups since he joined the homestay program. He actually kept on feeding us his kuih raya and syrup. The scenery here was refreshing. I could not see the green of paddy as Pak Cik just ploughed the field but that did not matter. I particularly enjoyed the breeze here. Air was fresher, too.

IMGP0617
IMGP0636
IMGP0633
IMGP0613

I could tell that Mak Cik and Nenek have taken care of the house well after looking at the flowers they plant and food they cook.

IMGP0624IMGP0623IMGP0621IMGP0620

After an hour of rest in our comfortable guestrooms, we then made our way to the highlight of the day, Firefly Watching!



Kampung Kuantan Fireflies Park, Kuala Selangor

Lights on Wings
Little lights seems talking to the sky,
To laugh at the city light that won't feel shy.
Oh fellow men oh fellow men why?
We chase away lights no money can buy.
Sincerely yours
10.39pm Kampong Kuantan Fireflies Park.
I am sorry but this is going to be post without picture as flashes too bright or whispers too loud could kill the fireflies at anytime. I failed to capture them with camera but I did keep those images in my heart. Now, with a keyboard, I wish to work the wonder of words so that you, too, can see the picture.

Even before we reached Kampung Kuantan, we had been repeatedly warned not to use flashlight and not to make noise. I could sense the quiet excitement of everyone at the moment when we put on the life jackets. For a kid growing up in a city, fireflies only appeared in songs. To see them face to face is to witness miracles. Sampan, too, was foreign to me.

Together with Citra, Dania and Spectre, we skidded through the river. I really loved hearing how oar gently pushed against water. It felt like how mother combing her daughter’s hair. The sky was dark. There was no star in the sky. Only moon light was to be seen.

Why, the stars had landed on to the berembang trees. Thousands of them were right in front of us. Their lights were so tender. I couldn’t help but to reach out my hand, to touch them, to feel them. One quietly landed on my palm. Oh gosh, it was so small, not much bigger than a rice. Then, another landed on Spectre’s hand. There were two on his hand, both shining at different rhythm. One slow and steady. Another quick and flickering. “Must be a male and female”, I whispered to the rest.

Aren’t they beautiful? Each shines with its own tune. When all of them gathered, it became a symphony of all sorts of rhythms. A unique voice I would call it. If it matches with yours, then it will be yours. We didn’t speak much, worrying that we might disturb them. And time passed by without us knowing.

The sampan slowly drifted away from the berembang and moved towards the shore. This little “flying lantern” still lingered on my palm. I would very much wish to bring it home but I chose not to. I whispered to it, “Go home, where no lights are shone.” And it flew.

So long, fireflies.

The journey ended with a documentary screening session in the TNB sponsored auditorium. Even for a not-so-big-fan for documentary would sit down quietly and learn more about these tiny bugs with such bright yet frail light. I might have not captured you with camera but who cares? You are already in my heart, the best photo album I have.


Surprise! Satay Hut, Tanjung Karang


IMG_2887

Tourism Selangor was really full of surprise and so we were brought to Tanjung Karang for the Satay Hut. It was claimed to taste even better than Satay Kajang. I could not tell whether the claim was true as I had not yet tasted any Kajang satay yet. One thing I was sure, however, was that Satay Hut was probably the best satay I had ever tried.

It was cooked evenly. The inner part was chewy while the outer part was crispy. The paste was mouth-watering, too.

IMG_2905IMG_2904IMG_2902IMG_2901IMG_2893IMG_2900IMG_2896

Oh no, I am really spoilt with all the yummy food! Next time, whenever my friends want to “belanja”me satay, I wouldn’t take unless it is nice than Satay Hut.

And so, I ended my day 3 with a stomach full of Satay Hut. Fully packed with energy coming from satay, tomorrow will surely be a nicer day.







                                                                                                                                                                  

Comments are welcomed and encouraged on ZewSays.com, but there are some instances where comments will be edited or deleted as follows:
1) Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam will be deleted. Including a link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.
2) Comments including profanity will be deleted.
3) Comments containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive will be deleted.
4) Comments that attack a person individually will be deleted.
The owner of this blog reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice. This comment policy is subject to change at anytime.
Facebook Blogger Plugin: Created by ZewSays.com

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, the waterfall at Kanching! I was there the yesterday for an event to clean up the place. It was uber dirty! I hope your blog post would create some awareness among Malaysians to preserve the waterfall! Oh, and the satays are looking delicious here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean the 1010 Save Our Waterfall event? Such a pity that I didn't get to attend. The rubbish on the open area aren't all human's fault. I remembered seeing monkeys scouting for food openly and obviously, they didn't clean up. Perhaps the management and public can do something about it.

    Yes, the satay was really good. That taste and texture still linger on my mind. Do come to Selangor. ^^

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails