2010/09/25

Stories From The Curious Mind-Chapter 3

(Official blog post for My Selangor Story Blogging Contest)


The Dazzling Genting Highland

Right after our Royal Selangor visit, we headed on to the Genting Highland. The last time I went to Genting, the City of Entertainment was that when I was still a primary school student. I was extremely delighted when I knew that Genting was included in our itinerary although part of it sat in the reign of Pahang. A chance for me to relive my childhood memory I would call it.

Our journey in Genting started off with a welcoming feast from Genting. Our name could be seen everywhere. To add to the glory of our journey, the EXCO for Tourism, Consumer Affairs & Environment, Y.B. Elizabeth Wong actually joined us for lunch. Of course, not to forget Tabby and Allie who had followed us all way long. Together with Dato’ Anthony Yeo, the senior vice president of Genting Malaysia, YB Elizabeth Wong presented all 30 My Selangor Storytellers the Genting goodie bag which weighed at least 3 kg!


IMGP0301
IMGP0315
It seemed to be true that Malaysians truly are food lovers. I was overwhelmed with the VVIP class hospitality from Genting. Having an opportunity to dine with the top management of Genting is truly once in a lifetime one. We really had a nice chat about blogging experience and service industry with the room division manager, Mr. Simon.
IMGP0310
Not only did I enjoy the chat, the food served at the Coffee Terrace was mouth watering, too. As much as I wish to share with you, I could only show you the pictures I took.
                   IMGP0313IMGP0312 
                   IMGP0309IMGP0308
IMGP0326
With our fully satisfied stomach, we then checked into our room. Thanks to the generosity of Genting, each of us was given a double room at the First World Hotel! This more than comfortable room then became the best place for me to recover from flu and to prepare for the Dazzle Show tonight.

                    IMGP0333IMGP0336
After squandering at McDonald for its free Wi-Fi for about an hour, Kemal and I then went to the Pavilion for the Dazzle Show. From the outside, the Pavilion looked more like a game arcade. The moment I stepped in, however, the dark purplish blue lighting gave it a mysterious atmosphere. It felt as if magicians might appear out of nowhere at any moment.

Fellow My Selangor Storytellers were given an extraordinary privilege made possible by Genting. We were seated at the very first row, right in front of the stage. And the best thins was that we were allowed to take pictures throughout the show albeit no flash was allowed. I was kind of proud upon listening the warning “Pictures and Videos Not Allowed.” It was that kind of feeling that you feel when you could get away with playing truant while others get stuck in class studying.

Once the warning message ceased, the mind boggling part of the night began. It first started off with the French mime, the Statue of Jerome Murat. The man behind it, Charles Gluck was indeed amazing. Whenever I thought that I had figured his tricks, he surprised me with a new one from a totally different angle. Not only that the trick was top notched, the plot blew my mind away, too. To exaggerate a little, the plot was somewhat comparable to that of the Inception. A white statue was made alive. A head was extended from the chest. At certain moments, I could not even differentiate which one the real head was.

dnyaca-nl mim ustas zmirde-20100408A08041C6-03Imagen3jerome_murat_2

After the mime, I was then brought a man who will never run out of umbrella, Ernesto Planas from Cuba. An amazing hand he has. From four small umbrellas, he could make an huge canopy out of nowhere. He threw one umbrella after another. Amid the heavy rain, the first guy you want to see is of course him. He was not only good with umbrella, of course. Watching how he taught our fellow blogger, Spectre Phang to appear and disappear shoes was truly entertaining. 

ErnestoPlanas
IMGP0397

The dance performance from the 14 Dancers was similarly entertaining.

IMGP0409IMGP0402
IMGP0390IMGP0407

The show which I liked the most was the Hand Shadow from Sonny Fontana. With his hands, hair and other small tools, he was able to project shadow of any kind on screen. Adjusting the distance of his hands from the projector, he could enlarge and minimize shadows at ease. One scene I remembered the most was the huge eagle which flew around the Pavilion. It was truly amazing!

variety-live-sonny-fontana-570

After the show, we even got the chance to chat with Charles Gluck (the person behind the Statue of Jerome Murat) at the exit. Exactly opposite to the Statue of Jerome, he was very humorous and affable.

      IMGP0418IMGP0414IMGP0415

One thought did bother me after the Dazzle Show, though. I had missed the Outdoor Theme Park earlier. To recover the loss, I then headed on to the Indoor Theme Park with another blogger, Kemal. I supposed this was the path less trodden among the tourists at Genting. Since it was already past midnight, there were many parts which we could not get to try out. One of them was Snow Park.

In the end, we then toured around the indoor theme park on boat with this handsome gondolier, a man of few words. The theme park was designed like a mini world. We could see replica of landmarks from all over the world everywhere here.

           IMGP0432IMGP0463          

           IMGP0457

           IMGP0447IMGP0340

We also experienced the 4D Cinema. The Haunted House  on screen was of a weird plot but the effect was awesome. It felt real. We went up and down the roof as if we were cats. There was one moment when I mistook the show as reality. It was really confusing. Do try it out when you come.

My story in Genting quickly approached its end on the next morning. After having a pleasant albeit adventurous breakfast at the World Club Lounge, we visited the Chin Swee Caves Temple on our way down the hill. The tour lasted for only about half an hour. The view up there was breathtaking. I was totally at peace in the Chin Swee Temple.



Again, it was already time to leave. I shall always miss the moment I had with you, Genting. Thank you for your top hospitality. I really felt at home.

IMGP0506

If you like this blog post, please feel free to share, comment and vote for me. Instruction for voting can be found on top of this page. Thank you.

Before that, a small piece of information sharing.
How to get to Genting Highland?
View Larger Map



                                                                                                                                                                  

Comments are welcomed and encouraged on ZewSays.com, but there are some instances where comments will be edited or deleted as follows:
1) Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam will be deleted. Including a link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.
2) Comments including profanity will be deleted.
3) Comments containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive will be deleted.
4) Comments that attack a person individually will be deleted.
The owner of this blog reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice. This comment policy is subject to change at anytime.
Facebook Blogger Plugin: Created by ZewSays.com

4 comments:

  1. you change your domain??? hahaha I was confuse when redirect onto zewsays. what was the meaning of the name? hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I just did. It is for better page rank. Since I am going to submit my blog to directories soon, might as well just change the domain now lah =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Finally a post about the indoor theme park which I didn't get the chance to explore :) I thought the guy who was on the gondola with you sings? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you can always go there again =) We can't possibly experience everything and that's why we had 30 My Selangor Storytellers but not 1. Whenever I missed something, I check out others' blogs =p

    That gondolier did not sing for us that night. Perhaps he was tired after one whole day of work =p Surely I'm gonna go Genting again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails