2010/09/13

Another Story From The Curious Mind

(Official entry to My Selangor Story Blogging Contest)

There is this one story I wish to share. It is about the sense of belonging to a place. During a “teh tarik” session, my friend was saying how upset his parents were finding out that their place falls under the reign of Selangor instead of Kuala Lumpur. This reminded me of the fact that Kuala Lumpur is more recognized by the foreigners than the state of Selangor. However, I know that it does not have to be this way. Why, Selangor surely has a lot more to offer that what people thought. A simple Google search can show you that. Sunway Lagoon, Sepang Circuit, the Blue Mosque, Bukit Cahaya Sri Alam Agricultural Park, Shah Alam Extreme Park and so on.

Being a teenager from Johor Bahru, I have no lack of entertainment. So, disappointment crept in when I was sent to Shah Alam to study. The non-existence of cinemas along was all it took to put me off. However as time passed by, I realized that I might have been wrong all this while. By chance, I had discovered the breathtaking beauty of Section 5, Shah Alam when I jogged with my friends.



Here is the Transformer-themed administrative building in Section 5, Shah Alam.



And this the view of Taman Kelahiran Shah Alam.



Then, I started to harbor a thought: starting a photo-blog project to showcase the beauty of Shah Alam. (http://www.my-orangers.com/ ) As the ORangers Project grew, I have become even more certain that Shah Alam might be the hidden gem of Malaysian tourism. As ambitious as it may sound, I decided to expand the project to the other parts of Selangor and then, the long-awaited opportunity knocked on the door: My Selangor Story Blogging Contest spearheaded by the Selangor Tourism Board.

So, why should you vote for me? It is not my nature to appear self-promoting but I am really eager to take this challenge. I am really passionate in promoting local tourism and my project website www.my-orangers.com shows it all. I even plan to channel the cash prize (if you are willing to vote for me, that is) back to the project to further promoting Shah Alam and Selangor local tourism. Even more, I love observing and living the cultural diversity unique to Malaysia and of course, Selangor. I especially enjoy chatting with the Mah Meri (one of the 18 tribes of Orang Asli in Malaysia) on Carey Island. I loved having “mamak” session with my friends from so many different origins (Malays, Baba Nyonya, Bidayuh, Melanau, Indians etc.) If you have noticed, I said something similar when I was interviewed by the Astro View for its August issue.

Next, I am proficient in three languages (Chinese, English and Malay, in alphabetical order) and photo-editing skills. I am also a frequent denizen of the whole social networking empire (Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, Google Buzz etc.) and also other handy online tools like Google Earth, Picasa, and Facebook Developers etc. Developing a Facebook application promoting Selangor tourism? Building an online forum for Selangor people? Not a problem. In the age of Social Networking, that is the way to capture people.

So, if you like to see Selangor in all its glory, please vote for me. A simple click on the My Selangor Story banner below is all it takes. After clicking the banner, you will be brought to My Selangor Story Contest entries. There, please look for the entry titled Another Story From The Curious Mind with my picture on the left and then click on the stars to vote. Many thanks in advance.



                                                                                                                                                                  

Comments are welcomed and encouraged on ZewSays.com, but there are some instances where comments will be edited or deleted as follows:
1) Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam will be deleted. Including a link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.
2) Comments including profanity will be deleted.
3) Comments containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive will be deleted.
4) Comments that attack a person individually will be deleted.
The owner of this blog reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice. This comment policy is subject to change at anytime.
Facebook Blogger Plugin: Created by ZewSays.com

4 comments:

  1. wow....Selangor will become the next tourism site after Victor's promotion. Fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sandy, you will definitely be able to come here one day. I'm sure. Drop me an email when you come to Selangor. ^^

    Anonymous, thanks. I really do hope so. In fact, my latest venture is closely related to this thing. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I would like to say a big Thank You to everyone who voted for me. I am already selected as one of the top 30. Shall start traveling in Selangor soon, most probably next week. ^^

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails